P.E. at Great Bridge Primary School
At Great Bridge Primary School, our Physical Education (P.E.) curriculum aligns with our school values of "all valued, all achieving, all equal," providing an inclusive and diverse range of activities that enable every pupil to develop their physical, mental, and social well-being. We want our pupils to be competent in a variety of physical activities, foster a lifelong love for sports, and develop essential skills such as perseverance, teamwork, and resilience.
We have the following aims for our P.E. programme:
- Encourage Participation: Our aim is to actively engage and inspire all pupils to participate in sports and physical activities.
- Broad and Balanced: We deliver a comprehensive P.E. curriculum that offers a wide range of activities for pupils to experience.
- Promote Healthy Lifestyles: We encourage pupils to lead active, healthy lives and raise awareness of the benefits of regular exercise.
- Inclusive Environment: We create a positive and inclusive environment that accommodates the diverse needs and abilities of our pupils.
- Develop Fundamental Skills: We focus on developing pupils' fundamental movement skills, coordination, and physical literacy.
- Opportunities for Competition and Leadership: We provide opportunities for pupils to compete, cooperate, and lead through both team sports and individual activities.
- Fair Play and Respect: We emphasise the importance of fair play, sportsmanship, and respect for others.
To ensure a broad and balanced P.E. curriculum, we offer a range of activities that cover various areas, including gymnastics, athletics, dance, invasion games, striking and fielding, and swimming. These activities are carefully sequenced with guidance from the iMoves holistic P.E. programme. This programme focusses on developing fundamental skills such as core strength, balance, coordination and motor skills, as well as critical thinking, adapting, and creating. By mastering these skills, our pupils can apply them to a variety of physical activities.
To provide additional opportunities for pupils to engage in physical activities, we offer a wide range of sports clubs during lunchtimes and after school. These clubs cater to different interests and talents, including both team sports and individual activities. Through these clubs, pupils can experience teamwork, healthy competition, and a sense of belonging.