Science at Great Bridge Primary School
The aim of our science curriculum at Great Bridge Primary School is to provide an engaging and inclusive learning experience that helps pupils develop a deep curiosity about the world around them. We believe that science education should nurture children's natural curiosity, encourage critical thinking, and foster a lifelong appreciation for the subject. Our goal is to deliver a high-quality science curriculum that aligns with our school values of "all valued, all achieving, all equal," ensuring inclusivity, engagement, and enrichment for all learners, preparing them for success in future studies.
Our approach is based on the following key principles:
- High Expectations: We believe that all pupils have the potential to excel in science, regardless of their starting points. We set high expectations for every child, aiming to develop their scientific understanding, skills, and attitudes to match their full potential.
- Engagement and Curiosity: We promote an enthusiastic and questioning approach to learning science. We strive to foster a sense of awe and wonder about science and ignite pupils' curiosity about the world around them through hands-on investigations, practical activities, and real-world examples.
- Breadth and Depth: Our curriculum covers a wide range of scientific disciplines, including biology, chemistry, and physics. We ensure depth of understanding by carefully sequencing the curriculum and providing opportunities for pupils to apply their knowledge in different contexts.
- Opportunities for Enquiry: Developing scientific enquiry skills is crucial for pupils to become confident and independent learners. Our curriculum includes regular opportunities for pupils to ask questions, plan and carry out investigations, analyse data, and draw evidence-based conclusions.
- Linking Science to Everyday Life: We aim to demonstrate to pupils the relevance of science in their everyday lives and future careers. By connecting scientific concepts with real-world examples, we help pupils understand how science can solve global challenges and inform decision-making.
Our science curriculum is designed to ensure a coherent and progressive learning journey for all our pupils. We follow the National Curriculum for Science as the foundation of our teaching and learning, which focusses on developing scientific knowledge, working scientifically, and scientific enquiry. Our curriculum, with support from Plymouth Science, covers a wide range of topics in all fields of science. It is structured to build upon prior knowledge and skills and to provide clear, age-appropriate learning outcomes. We also offer opportunities for cross-curricular links, promoting a deeper understanding of key scientific concepts, scientific literacy, and effective communication in scientific contexts.